Winery FAQ|Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board

Tasting spaces

How many tasting rooms can a winery have?
A winery can have one tasting room on the properties of their winery and at 2 extra areas (no production or distribution is allowed). Staff members serving red wine for on-premises consumption need to have an Obligatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) authorization.

Are MAST permits required at wineries?
MAST licenses are not required at the production facility. Nevertheless, they are required at the extra location where red wine is used for on-premises consumption.

What is enabled at my additional area?
You may sell drinks by the glass of white wine of your own production, sell bottles to go and offer food.

Can wineries share spaces with other wineries at the others’ production facility?
Yes, an off-site winery can share a tasting room at another producing winery. Both wineries would require to use among their additional location advantages in order to allow the joint tasting rooms at this one place.

Can a winery pour wine off their winery premises?
Yes, however just at the following:

  • A winery’s additional locations
    Special-occasion certified events– white wine should be pre-sold to the licensee
    Beer/wine boutique– wine should be pre-sold to the licensee
    Personal clubs– white wine should be pre-sold to the licensee
    Dining establishments that are licensed to sell red wine for on-premises usage– wine should be pre-sold to the licensee
    Supermarket sampling occasion– red wine must be pre-sold to the licensee

Accrediting information

Do I require a federal license to make wine?
If the item you produce will be sold, then you need a federal authorization along with a state liquor license. Go to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, U.S. Department of the Treasury, at to learn more about federal permits.

Can I have a dining establishment license if I have a winery?
Yes. Recent law changes enable a separate retail place. There will need to be a separate entity for this second company.

Can a domestic winery have a warehouse off the winery properties?
Yes, domestic wineries running as distributors of their own product might request one warehouse found off the winery premises and not located at their extra area.

You must complete a Business License Application and Non-Retail Liquor and Marijuana Board Addendum for the storage facility through the Department of Revenue’s Organization Licensing Service. The application will then go through the WSLCB licensing process.

Listing item

How can I get my product in Washington alcohol stores?
You need to go through the WSLCB listing procedure in order to sell your product in liquor stores.

Preliminary inspections

What occurs at the WSLCB’s initial assessment of a winery?

  • The enforcement officers will review the floor plan, procedure wall separations, etc.
  • The officer will also review alcohol laws particular to winery licenses with you, and discuss the following instruction forms:

How can I discover state requirements about sanitation and waste water?
Please call the State Department of Farming for info.

Tax reports

When are tax reports due?Tax reports need to be sent or postmarked on or before the 20th of the month following activity. A report must be filed monthly, including those months when there is no activity. When the 20th falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or a legal holiday, the filing needs to be postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service no later than the next postal business day.

If you do not have any activity to report, you can file tax reports in advance.

Wineries may file their monthly tax reports and make payments online utilizing the WSLCB’s Online Tax Reporting and Payment System. The system is readily available 24 hr a day, permits you to see formerly submitted reports, and is safe and secure and private.

Extra info can be discovered on the Beer and White wine Tax Reporting page.

Special events

How can wineries take part in a special occasion event?

  • A winery can donate item to a 501(c)( 3) or 501(c)( 6) nonprofit corporation or association
    A winery can pour and inform the general public about their red wine
  • Please bear in mind that the event is run by the special event licensee, not the maker
    A winery might not sell red wine to the general public throughout these events
    A winery might not donate cash of any kind to these events (booth costs, sponsorship, etc.)
    The WSLCB does not presently provide portable licenses for wineries.
    Where can

I find out more about special event events?
Take a look at the unique occasion licenses FAQ page.

Individual services

What individual services can a winery deal?
Individual services performed by wineries at a licensed retail premises are meant to inform, inform, or enhance a client’s knowledge or experience of the producer’s item. Personal services might consist of bottle finalizings, putting at events, and comparable activities.

Winery might not need performance of personal services as a condition for selling alcohol to the retail licensee.

Bonded white wine warehouses

Can bonded white wine warehouses deal with bottled white wine for wineries?
Yes. Reasons consist of:

  • Packaging and repackaging services
    Bottle labeling services
    Producing gift baskets or range packs that might or might not consist of non-wine items
    Choosing, packaging, and shipping red wine orders directly to consumers

Homemade red wine

Can I make homemade wine at my home for private usage?
Yes. A license is not required if the white wine is for private intake and is not for sale.

Please note:

  • Homemade wine is not needed to be consumed in the house where it was produced.
    Homemade wine might be removed from the house for personal usage.
    The amount of homemade white wine an adult might eliminate from the house is 20 gallons.
    Use of homemade red wine at arranged affairs, exhibitions, or competitors is considered private consumption.

Identifying requirements

What details must be on red wine bundles and labels?

  • Identity and quality of the wine
    Alcohol material
    Net contents
    Call of the producer, producer, or bottler

What are the requirements for declaring or implying that the appellation of origin is “Washington?”

  • If the label specifies “Washington,” at least 95 percent of the grapes used in the production of the red wine must have been grown in Washington.
    If the label states “Washington” and the name of an American Viticultural Area (AVA) situated wholly within Washington, at least 95 percent of the grapes used in the production of the red wine must have been grown in Washington.
    If the label mentions “Washington” and the name of an AVA situated in both Washington and an adjoining state, at least 95 percent of the grapes used in the production of the red wine need to have been grown in the AVA or in Washington.
    The requirements do not apply to red wine produced with the addition of white wine spirits, brandy, or alcohol.
    The standards use to red wine made from grapes collected after December 31, 2009.

Using typical providers

Can wineries utilize common carriers?
Yes, in-state and out-of-state wineries can utilize common carriers for delivering up to 100 cases of their own items straight to licensed retailers.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *