By Keely Chace on June 18, 2020 When it concerns signing birthday cards, there are people who have no issue picking up a pen and adding a warm, personal message. Then there are those people who in some cases have difficulty getting beyond “Delighted Birthday.” Wherever you fall on that motivation spectrum, we have ideas to assist you compose a more meaningful message in your card.
In this guide, Hallmark writers use birthday-message suggestions and inspiring examples. Just click on the suitable category listed below to go straight to the birthday wishes you’re interested in, or you can check out the entire guide and mix and match to create a custom message for your birthday individual. We hope this little guide aids with the next birthday card you sign … and much more!
What to Compose in a Birthday Card
When the card has currently said it all or you simply seem like keeping things brief, a couple of brief, sweet words might be the method to go. Here are some concepts for including a little additional warmth and character to your magnificent little message.
- “Pleased, pleased birthday, [Margie]”
- “I hope you get to do something enjoyable to commemorate!”
- “You should have everything happy. Wanting you that all year long!”
- ” [Aaron], hope you have a delighted [27th] Love ya!”
- “The happiest of birthdays to the [loveliest] of [children]”
- “Hottest long for a pleased birthday,”
- “Hope today’s filled with all your favorite guilty satisfaction!”
- “Hope you make your [25th] a birthday to keep in mind!”
- “Go forth from this birthday and prosper in your [ukulele playing]”
- “Another year older, and you simply keep getting stronger, better, funnier and more remarkable!”
- “Happy Birthday to one of my preferred people in the history of ever.”
- “Thanks for being here, for being you.”
- “Warmest dreams and love on your birthday and always!”
- “Be safe, have fun, take photos, and take pleasure in every minute of this amazing time in your life!”
- “So grateful that God put you on this earth and in my life.”
- “Wishing you a happy birthday and a year that’s blessed.”
Composing suggestion: One Trademark author said she selects her cards very thoroughly for each birthday individual so that she doesn’t have to include much in the method of a personal message. Simply put, it’s fine to let the printed message and design do the majority of the talking for you. Even expert writers do it!
The turning point birthday person may not wake up feeling like this birthday is especially unique or various from any other. So, it’s your job to let him or her know what a huge deal it is to have a great, round-number birthday!
- ”  never looked so great!”
- “Happy Birthday, [Jared] Now that you have actually shown up here,  will never be the exact same again!”
- “Turning  is huge! Particularly when it’s somebody like you, who has actually maximized each year and made such a favorable difference for individuals in your life.”
- ”  is the best age. You’re old enough to afford the good things and still young enough to enjoy it!”
- “Happy [90th] Birthday, [Nana Betty] Today, we’re celebrating the incredible [lady] you are, honoring the life you have actually lived and, just like constantly, loving you so much!”
Writing tip: Ages 16, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100 are generally considered turning points. Cards particular to these birthdays will include the age number plainly in their design, but you can make any card a turning point card (or any birthday a milestone birthday) by composing that shiny brand-new age number somewhere in your personal message.
Sharing a laugh in a funny birthday card is a fantastic method to individualize a card for someone you know well. Quips about aging, jokes about over-indulging, gags about gifts (or the lack thereof)– all are good possibilities for amusing messages.
- “Happy birthday to my preferred former punk rocker!” (Or: hippie, goth, Valley Woman, grunge rocker)
- “From among your favorite bad influences” (Added after the card’s printed “Happy Birthday”)
- “Hope it’s better than me at a shoe sale!” (or: medspa, bar, coffee bar, beach.)
- “You get to be the center of attention today! Tomorrow it’s back to me.
- “Have a martini for me! Or 2!” (Or: replacement recipient’s preferred beverage.)
- “I think this is the year you get a pony! JK That’s never.”
- “Pleased birthday to you and your cat! (I understand how the feline dislikes to be left out.)”
- “May the cake calories go straight to your boobs!”
- “To price quote Shakespeare: ‘Celebration thine ass off!'”
- “Dibs on the presents you don’t like!”
- “You completely do not appear like crap at all!”
- “I hope all your dreams come to life, even the unusual ones.”
- “Sorry there’s no money in here.”
- “Please stop aging so with dignity. It’s getting type of boring and predictable.”
- “Have an excellent day, you old geezer! (Takes one to know one, right?)”
Composing Pointer: Attempt to sound like talking. Like, if you say “like” all the time, compose “like” a lot. It’s OKAY and it’s, like, more personal and the individual can type of hear you talking and from there, you can refer to something amusing that happened and they’ll laugh due to the fact that, like, it completely reminds them of when the amusing thing occurred!
Late actually is better than never! If life, memory lapse or alien abduction has interfered with the prompt shipment of your card, send it anyhow. You can consist of a genuine or funny apology … or simply frame it as your method of extending the birthday fun!
- “So sorry these birthday desires are late reaching you. I hope it was happy!”
- “Happy Birthday … a little late!”
- “You’re receiving this NOW and not on your REAL birthday, due to the fact that I am incredibly thoughtful and wished to be sure the celebration of YOU was not restricted to simply one day. That is so good of me, right? Well, you deserve it.”
- “At least my Pleased Birthday text was on time. That counts for something, right? Delighted Belated Birthday!”
- “I don’t understand where my mind was, however I forgot your birthday … previously. A minimum of this way I’ll stand apart from the crowd when I inform you you’re amazing and awesome. Have a terrific year!”
Writing tip: Cards made specifically for belated birthdays benefit when you keep in mind the birthday after the reality. However, if you currently have the card however simply didn’t get it provided on time, stick with what you’ve got. You can discuss its lateness in your personal message– or not. It’s actually your call.
In some cases you simply want to inform somebody, “Thanks for being a good friend.” A birthday card is an excellent way to do just that.
- “Pleased Birthday to a friend I couldn’t live without!”
- “In case I do not inform you often enough, I actually value your friendship. And I’m so grateful for all you bring to my life!”
- “If life were a comedy, you ‘d be the witty, attractive buddy and I ‘d be the dorky sidekick. And I do not mind that at all. I hope you have a FANTASTIC birthday.”
- “This growing older stuff isn’t for sissies. Glad I have a pal like you to go first!”
- “It just occurred to me that we actually are ending up being OLD buddies. So delighted we are.”
- “Love you, my sweet good friend. Happy Birthday.”
Composing tip: If you have actually picked a blank or just-for-fun card just because you understand your pal would like it, you can quickly make it a birthday card by mentioning birthday someplace in your personal message. Friendship is flexible like that!
What you write to your mama on her birthday will depend on the type of relationship the two of you share. In general, love, appreciation, and upbeat desires are a great bet. If she’s got a healthy funny bone, do not hesitate to make her laugh. You can always keep it light one year, and go more sincere the next.
- “Pleased Birthday, with wholehearted thanks and lots of love, to my sensible, terrific, one-and-only Mother.”
- “You’re the very best, Mom. Love you.”
- “Wanting a beautiful day for my beautiful Mom.”
- “The more time goes by, the more grateful I am to have you for my Mother.”
- “Hope your birthday brings some time to unwind, do your favorite things, and keep in mind just how much you’re loved.”
- “I don’t say it enough, but it’s constantly true: I enjoy you, and I feel so fortunate to call you my mama.”
- “For all the days you’ve made pleased for our family … all the ways you make us smile … delighted birthday with great deals of love.”
- “Wish I could be there to celebrate with you, Mommy. Have fun! Miss you!”
- “Pleased Birthday from your favorite! (I probably do not even need to sign my name after that, do I?)”
- “With love from the reason for the majority of your gray hairs.”
- “Delighted Birthday, Mom. I hope whatever about today reminds you how loved and treasured you are.”
Composing Idea: Sharing a birthday memory can be an enjoyable concept for mama, too: “I still remember you all dressed up to go out for your 40th birthday. I believed I had the prettiest mommy on the planet. I still do.”
Love, thanks, and warm wishes make good birthday messages for daddy, too. Again, let your relationship be your guide, and write from the heart.
- “To my hero … my Daddy.”
- “Birthday and every day, it suggests so much to have a terrific Daddy like you.”
- “I really got fortunate when I got you for my Daddy.”
- “You have actually constantly been a great father, and you have actually ended up being a genuine buddy, too. I like that … and I enjoy you, Father.”
- “For lessons you have actually taught … For days you have actually saved … For whatever … Thanks, Dad.”
- “I have actually always taken pride in the clever, truthful, great guy you are– and so very happy to be your child.”
- “You’re more than a father. You’re the best guy I know.”
- “Pleased Birthday, Daddy! Hope the sun is shining, and the fish are biting!”
- “I hope you get a hole-in-one today. If not, simply lie and tell me you did anyway. I’ll never ever understand the distinction.”
- “For the male who taught me everything I know. From the kid who paid to attention to roughly half of all you attempted to teach.”
- “You’ll notice this birthday card was NOT sent out from prison. I have you to thank for that, Papa.”
- “Daddy, I hope you find an enjoyable method to squander some time on your birthday. You have my permission!”
- “You are worthy of a margarita with the great tequila today! And every day. Delighted birthday to a top-shelf kind of Dad!”
Composing Suggestion: Even a daddy who never ever gets mushy in person can still value a warm and loving composed message. Cards are an ideal vehicle for saying the heartfelt things that can be difficult to say face-to-face.
If you don’t like to compose a lot on a birthday card, then send more cards to kids, due to the fact that even those who have actually learned to check out are frequently too thrilled to sit through a very long message. Keep your wish short, sweet and fun, and your card will be a hit with the birthday kid.
- ”  years remarkable! That’s you!”
- “All hail the birthday princess! Have a royally sweet [5th], [Ella]”
- “Yay! You’re  today! Love you, huge  -year-old!”
- “Happy Birthday to our new favorite  -year-old!”
- ” [Colette], you’re getting to be such a huge [woman] Delighted [3rd] Birthday, Sweetheart. We like you!”
- ” [Elliott] How can you be  currently? Why, simply yesterday, you were  Oh, well. Have a pleased one, birthday kid!”
- ” [Tyler], I have actually got a sensation you’re going to make a pretty remarkable  -year-old. Happy Birthday!”
- “Hope this whole amazing year of being  starts with a really fun, very pleased birthday!”
Writing tip: Some grownups might not wish to be advised of their brand-new age, however kids will like seeing that you know precisely how old they are now! If it’s not already printed on the card, make certain to compose the birthday kid’s age somewhere in your message.
If you’re wed to or dating the birthday boy or woman, this is an excellent chance to enhance your relationship. Depending on your scenarios, it might likewise be an excellent possibility for a little flirty fun.
- “I’m so grateful you came into the world because you make my world better every day. Pleased Birthday, Baby.”
- “Thanks for you being you and being mine.”
- “It’s your day, and I can’t wait to commemorate it with you.”
- “I hope your birthday is the happiest.”
- “Delighted Birthday, Beautiful.”
- “Wish you were here for me to ruin today.”
Composing tip: Utilizing your private animal name for the recipient can immediately make an easy message more warm and individual. No matter what you say, use words that seem like you.
Opportunities are, your member of the family will be getting a lot of birthday cards from you through the years, so you can blend it up and compose a longer personal message some years and a shorter message others. Love, compliments and warm wishes all work perfectly for family. So do “Proud of you” and “I’m thankful we’re family” messages.
- “Every year, I’m even more grateful to have a [sibling] like you.”
- “We still keep in mind the first time we laid eyes on you– on this day  years back. You were so lovely right from the start, and with every year, you grow much more gorgeous. Hope you understand just how much we enjoy you and how grateful we are to call you our [daughter]”
- “So pleased with the individual you are! So happy we’re household.”
- “I am so in awe of you … therefore proud to call you my [sister]”
- “Well, [Grandfather], another year has actually passed, and I still have not discover anybody smarter, kinder, more generous or much better at [checkers] than you. You’re the best!”
Writing pointer: If your card does not specifically mention your household relationship with the recipient, include it in your personal message. You can either address the recipient by the title you use for them (Nana, Pop-Pop, Auntie Suzie, and so on), or discuss the relationship (sister, cousin, and so on) somewhere in your message.
Birthdays more than happy events that sometimes fall throughout difficult times due to health problem, task loss, bereavement or other tough circumstances. A birthday card is an excellent method to let the birthday person know you’re still thinking about (and commemorating) him or her even in the middle of a difficult year.
- “I know you have actually had some genuine obstacles this year, and it has actually been excellent to see how well you have actually satisfied them.”
- “What a year. You made it! Let’s commemorate THAT!”
- “Life owes you some really good times. Hope they begin today.”
- “You have actually had more than your share of difficulties this year– hope this will feel like a brand-new year of much better days.”
- “I hope this next year is mild and sweet to you and provides you lots of reasons to smile and lots of time to rest.”
Writing suggestion: Humor can be a fantastic day-brightener even in the midst of a hard time. If you understand the birthday individual values a good laugh, feel free to pick a funny card and/or add a humorous personal message.
Let your relationship guide you when signing a birthday card for a colleague. If it’s someone you’re close to, you can be as casual in your message as you would with nonwork pals. If it’s your supervisor or somebody with whom you have a relationship that’s more strictly about work, then keep your message more formal.
- “Delighted Birthday and all the best to you in the year to come!”
- “It’s a satisfaction to work with you … and to wish you a happy birthday!”
- ” [Karen], all work and no play makes us dull girls. So don’t work too difficult on your birthday. Hope it mores than happy!”
- “Regrettably, I can’t take credit for baking you the cake in the break space. Thankfully, I can completely have a piece in your honor. Yum … and Happy Birthday!”
- “You make work a lot less like work. Thanks for all you do!”
Composing idea: Do resist any desire to talk store when signing a birthday card for a co-worker. Your card is a location for official birthday service only.
Here are some ideas for when you’re the umpteenth person to sign the birthday card, and all the obvious messages (and most of the area) have actually already been taken.
- “Commemorating you!”
- “Pleased day!”
- “I salute you.”
- “Birthday cheers!”
- “Birthday hugs!”
- “Let the b-day fun begin!”
- “Let us consume cake!”
- “Have a sweet one!”
- “Huzzah to you on your birthday!”
- “Be so pleased.”
- “Delighted Birthday & Happy Year!”
- “Happy dreams to you!”
- “YES to party hats!”
- “… and many more.”
- “Another year more wonderful!”
- “You’re awesome!”
- “You’re the very best!”
- “You look excellent!”
- “U look 2 good 2 B this old!”
- “Can’t think you’re a year older!”
- “Here’s to you!”
- “Here’s to a great birthday!”
- “Make a dream!”
- “Want something great!”
- “Whatever you wish, I second that!”
- “Party on!”
- “Stay cool.”
- “Stay sweet!”
- “Honored to want you a happy birthday!”
- ” ¡ Salud! ¡ Dinero! ¡ Amor! “( Spanish for”health, money, love”)
- “Love you!”
A warm closing prior to your signature is like the bow on top of the birthday gift. Select among ours, or come up with among your own.
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- All my love,
- Finest desires!
- Finest desires on your birthday and constantly,
- All life’s finest to you,
- Happy Birthday!
- Wanting you joy,
- Hottest dreams,
- True blessings,
- God bless,
- Hugs and kisses,
Need more birthday concepts?
Take a look at these 20+ ideas for innovative, personal birthday care plans.
- < img src="https://ideas.hallmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Video-fizz-800x530.jpg"alt="How about a brand-new way to celebrate? Develop a Video Fizz"/ > Credits: Additional contributions from Ellen Brenneman, Jim Cosgrove, Kevin Dilmore, Jeannie Hund, Diana Manning, Katherine Stano and Melissa Woo.
Keely Chace is a Hallmark Master Author who loves reading, running and spending time with her husband and daughters. She shares writing ideas in her “What to Compose” series on Trademark & Neighborhood.